[vtkusers] picking vtkImageSlice using vtkCellPicker?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 15:49:58 EDT 2014

Hi Miro,

As far as I know, no VTK components whatsoever are tested for images
with negative spacing, and no-one is working to fix the components
that are known to break with negative spacing.

In my own software, whenever I read an image that has negative
spacing, I always reverse the slice order to make the spacing
positive.  This means that I have to modify the orientation/position
matrix to account for the reversal, and it also means that I have to
create a map that will map imagedata slice indices to the original
file slice indices.  All of this adds complexity to my programs,
obviously, but at least it means that I can be confident that all the
rendering, contouring, filtering, and picking tools will properly work
with my data.

Since I'm familiar with the image picking code, I can take a look to
see why it doesn't work for negative spacing.  But I strongly
recommend that you do not use images with negative spacing in VTK.
If you use negative spacing, then some things will work, it's true, but
some things will break.

  David