[vtkusers] How does one extract the information in a vtkMultiBlockDataSet?

Kevin Manktelow kevin071586 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 21:59:56 EDT 2014

Hi all,
I've just started using VTK, so I'm guessing this is probably a very simple
question.  But I can't seem to get the information I need.

I have a vtkMultiBlockDataSet that contains "Side Set" information I'd like
to read.  I've determined that this information is in block #4 of my
multiblock dataset, and it is I think it is contained in a
vtkUnstructuredGrid object.  I've come to this conclusion by using the
Print(..) method of the vtkMultiBlockDataSet:

vtkMultiBlockDataSet (0x4a6a308)
  <... some information removed...>
  <... some information removed...>
  Number Of Children: 1
  Child 0: vtkUnstructuredGrid
      <... some information removed...>
    Field Data:
      <... some information removed...>
    Number Of Points: 121
    Number Of Cells: 100
    Cell Data:
      Debug: Off
      Modified Time: 2472
      Reference Count: 1
      Registered Events: (none)
      Number Of Arrays: 1
      Array 0 name = ObjectId
      Number Of Components: 1
      Number Of Tuples: 100
      <... some information removed...>
    Point Data:
      <... some information removed...>

I just can't figure out how to go from the "Block" to the "Child 0:
vtkUnstructuredGrid" object.  I'd like something sort of like:
   multiBlockDataSet->GetBlock(4)->GetChild(0)

What is the VTK way of doing this?

Thanks,
Kevin