[vtkusers] vtkOrientationMarkerWidget clipped axis

Sebastien sebastien.calvi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 15:10:55 EST 2014

Hello all,

I'm using a vtkOrientationMarkerWidget with a vtkAxesActor coded as follow:

>From Constructor:
, axesActorWindRose( vtkAxesActor::New() )
, widgetWindRose( vtkOrientationMarkerWidget::New() )

    // Add a "wind-rose":
    VTK_CREATE_SMART( vtkTransform, user_transform );
    user_transform->RotateZ( 90.0 );
    axesActorWindRose->SetUserTransform( user_transform );
    axesActorWindRose->SetXAxisLabelText( WINDROSE_XL );
    axesActorWindRose->SetYAxisLabelText( WINDROSE_IL );
    axesActorWindRose->SetZAxisLabelText( WINDROSE_DEPTH );

    widgetWindRose->SetOutlineColor( 0.9300, 0.5700, 0.1300 );
    widgetWindRose->SetOrientationMarker( axesActorWindRose );
    widgetWindRose->SetInteractor( renderWindowInteractor );
    widgetWindRose->SetViewport( 0.0, 0.0, 0.2, 0.2 );  // default
    widgetWindRose->SetEnabled( 1 );
    widgetWindRose->InteractiveOn();

<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5726229/40.png>

As you can see I've added a 90. degrees rotation to correctly follow the
progression of my axes;
here is the  problem, by doing this (I've verified by suppressing the
rotation) I end up having the Y axis (labeled IL here) being clipped when
directed towards the camera.

I have looked closely to the widget class as well as the axes-actor class
but nothing allows something like camera-reset.

Since the class just use the interactor and thus I'm assuming the same
renderer, I have tried call to:
    renderer->ResetCamera(); // Fit all the Contents
    renderer->ResetCameraClippingRange();

But no result...

Is that a bug?

Please let me know, thank you,