[vtkusers] vtk 6.1 - unable to build VTK-6.1.0\Examples\GUI\Win32\vtkMFC

Walter Blume Walter.Blume at stereotaxis.com
Wed Jun 11 11:32:28 EDT 2014

I've successfully built vtk 6.1 with following options enabled
  BUILD_EXAMPLES
 BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
 BUILD_TESTING
 Module_vtkGUISupportMFC
  VTK_Group_Rendering
VTK_Group_Standalone
  VTK_Group_Views
  VTK_REPORT_OPENGL_ERRORS
  VTK_USE_VIDEO_FOR_WINDOWS

But when I try to build the vtkMFC examples, I get missing vtkMFC.lib error at link time.  So far nothing I've tried is working.   Any clues?

This is with Visual Studio 2010 on a Windows 7 machine

I've seen references to a VTK_USE_MFC build option in some other discussions of this problem, but I am guessing this is for earlier versions of VTK, as I can't seem to get it to appear, and manually defining it didn't help.  I'm assuming that "Module_vtkGUISupportMFC" is what is supposed to be checked.

Note for others, I also had to modify the stdafx.h file to get the project to compile at all

Change in stdafx.h:
// NOTE:  Commented this out to avoid problems with CCM_SETWINDOWTHEME not being defined
//#ifndef _WIN32_IE      // Allow use of features specific to IE 4.0 or later.
//#define _WIN32_IE 0x0501  // Change this to the appropriate value to target IE 5.0 or later.
//#endif