[vtkusers] Mapping from vtk5 to vtk6 libraries

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Thu Jun 5 16:12:23 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm the Debian maintainer for the VTK-using package, therion:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/therion.html
https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/therion

which uses wxwidgets and vtk for the 3D vewier 'loch'.

Debian is trying to transition to vtk6, so I took a look at updating
the package. I fixed some vtk4-vintage usage of SetInput, which now
compiles (although I don;t know if I've got this right), but I've hit
issues in the linkage.

VTK6 seems to have hundreds of libraries where VTK5 only had a few. I
read a few wiki pages, but didn't see a simple way of working out what I
should now be linking with. Note that I know very little about the
codebase, and less about VTK - I just build it. Upstream knows what
VTK functionality they used.

So currently I have:
VTKLIBS = -lvtkHybrid -lvtkImaging -lvtkIO -lvtkGraphics -lvtkFiltering -lvtkCommon -lvtkjpeg -lvtkpng -lvtkzlib -lvtksys

What is the VTK6 equivalent?

Or if that question makes no sense, how do I map from my codebase to
some subset of the monstrously-long list of VTK libraries?

All the docs I saw tell you how to get the right runes using cmake,
but the build system of therion does not use cmake, so that's not very
useful. Nor does it use autoconf. It's rather old-fashioned
cross-platform: Make+tcl, with platform-config done by perl, which
actually works remarkably well on Linux/Mac/Windows.

I already looked at :
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/VTK_6_Migration/Overview#Overview_of_Changes
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Build_System_Migration
http://www.kitware.com/source/home/post/116

Which helped me understand what the problem is, but not what to do about it.

Thanks for any clues you can provide.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/

----- End forwarded message -----