[vtkusers] Need suggestions about choosing suitable pipeline and data type

frid hou frid.hou at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 11:39:17 EDT 2014

Hi,
  I am writing a application to manipulate some VOIs. VTK 6.1.0 is used
and compiled by cmake under VS2012. The application is developed under
python.

The procedure of this application is :
1. read DICOM files
2. extract some volume of interest
3. pick one of VOI and move in renderer to suitable position
4. mirror VOI
5. perform boolean operation on two of VOIs

The current progress is that I can read DICOM files (vtkDICOMReader) into
vtkImageData. VOI can be selected and extracted by vtkBoxWidget2 and
vtkExtractVOI. The result vtkImageData is tranform to vtkPolyData by
vtkMarchingCubes. The mirror VOI function is completed by
vtkReflectionFilter.

The problem is met when performing boolean operation on two VOIs by using
vtkBooleanOperationPolyDataFilter, it crushed when Update() is
called.

After reading some posts in this maillist. I think this problem maybe caused
by
something wrong on the constructed PolyData.

Then I am trying not to transform vtkImageData to vtkPolyData but using
volume rendering directly. By now, it works fine in display and extract VOI.

But when moving actor in renderer by vtkInteractorStyleTrackballActor. Once
moved an VOI to another position. After I change back to
vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera
and change cameras position, the VOIs behavior is not the same as PolyData
actor.
It seems rotate to each rotation center.

Any suggestion about how to processing these data?

Thanks