[vtkusers] Volume Rendering of 3D CT Scan similar to 2D X Ray image

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 10:33:57 EST 2014

I have some code we wrote years ago. It used
typedef itk::ExpNegativeImageFilter<InputImageType,InternalImageType>
      ExpNegativeType;
    ExpNegativeType::Pointer expNegative = ExpNegativeType::New();
    expNegative->SetInput( thresh->GetOutput());
    expNegative->SetFactor( -.0011 );

followed by
   // grab a row for the 'DRR'
    typedef itk::AccumulateImageFilter<InternalImageType,InternalImageType>
AccumulateType;
    AccumulateType::Pointer APAccumulate = AccumulateType::New();
    AccumulateType::Pointer lateralAccumulate = AccumulateType::New();

    APAccumulate->SetAverage(false);
    lateralAccumulate->SetAverage(false);
    APAccumulate->SetAccumulateDimension(1);
    lateralAccumulate->SetAccumulateDimension(0);

    APAccumulate->SetInput ( expNegative->GetOutput() );
    lateralAccumulate->SetInput ( expNegative->GetOutput() );
    APAccumulate->Update();
    lateralAccumulate->Update();

I'll be happy to share the code with the caveat that it has lots of
application specific code in it.

There is also the ITK Example:
Examples/Filtering/DigitallyReconstructedRadiograph1.cxx

Bill