[vtkusers] VTK 6.1 RC1 and .PDB files

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Thu Jan 16 04:49:41 EST 2014

Hello all,

I have an issue with the Visual Studio 2012 (VS11) build of VTK 6.1 RC1. We
are doing both 32 and 64 bit builds, with BUILD_SHARED_LIBS turned off (i.e.
set to build static libraries).

It would appear that the INSTALL project does not copy the Visual Studio
Program Database (.PDB) files for the debug builds (32 bit and 64 bit). This
results in a large number of build warnings when building projects using
VTK. I believe this has been the case for some time (there is even a call
open on Mantis - 12005 from a while ago, but this was never addressed). In
the past, I have been able to get away with just copying the .PDB files into
the install directory alongside the .lib files. This no longer seems to work
for me as I get a large number of warnings relating to vc110.pdb:

1>vtkCommonCore-6.1.lib(vtkAbstractArray.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB
'vc110.pdb' was not found with
'vtkCommonCore-6.1.lib(vtkAbstractArray.obj)'; linking object as if no debug
info
1>vtkCommonCore-6.1.lib(vtkArrayCoordinates.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB
'vc110.pdb' was not found with
'vtkCommonCore-6.1.lib(vtkArrayCoordinates.obj)'; linking object as if no
debug info

...etc. for several pages.

I have tried not copying the .PDB files at all - interestingly, this results
in no warnings for ITK which we also use, but quite a large number of
warnings for VTK (as you would probably expect as it is a debug build). I
also tried finding the vc110.pdb file manually, but it is actually in
several sub directories under the build and each version is different with
the same file name, so I gave up on that avenue of investigation.

I have not yet tried this with the RC2 version which has just come out, but
there does not seem to be any mention of a fix for this specific issue.

Any help would be very much appreciated as a large number of warnings can
hide potentially more important issues. I am reluctant to just turn the
warning off as this seems like hiding the issue and may hide things that we
should be fixing at our end.

Thanks
Ian Lindsay