[vtkusers] Vtk 6.1 Standalone Python Interface (Installer) Windows pyd files in wrong location

diego0020 da.angulo39 at uniandes.edu.co
Fri Jan 10 11:45:49 EST 2014

Hello

I think the new vtk python installers are a great idea. We use vtkPython a
lot and having to compile from source on all our machines was a pain. Thanks

However after a french installation, commands like

import vtkPythonCore

Which is for example called by

from vtk.tk.vtkTkRenderWindowInteractor import \
     vtkTkRenderWindowInteractor

would fail

I looked for differences between the compiled source, and the installed
files, and I noticed in the compiled from source version
vtkCommonCorePython.pyd is located inside the bin directory, while in the
installer version it ends up in "C:\Program Files (x86)\VTK
6.1.0-RC1\lib\site-packages\vtk".

This directory is not included in the sys.path variables (nor should it be),
only its parent is included.

I moved all the *.pyd files to the bin directory, and now it works.

Also it is strange to use the "Program Files (x86)" directory for a 64 bit
applications.
I am using windows 8.1 64 bits, and the version I tried was
vtkpython-6.1.0.rc1-win64.exe

Again, I think this installer is a great idea, and it will be really useful
to let people start using vtk very fast. Do you think it would be possible
to distribute this as a python package in pypi?

Best regards