[vtkusers] GSOC Project Information

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Feb 27 10:50:16 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Jatin,
>
> This idea was proposed by Aashish (in CC), who is also listed as a
> potential mentor. He would be the best person to guide you in further
> exploring this idea, and eventually fleshing it out into a proposal if
> it looks like a good match.
>
> Thanks for your interest, as Google Summer of Code is primarily a
> development activity (and our developers monitor that list more
> closely) you might consider using the VTK developers list in future.
>
> Marcus

Thanks Marcus.

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM, jatin parekh <jatinparekh93 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I haven't used VTK before, but I have prior experience in C++ with
> OpenGL,
> > OpenCV, and Qt, and I recently started working with GLSL too. (Some of my
> > small projects can be seen here https://github.com/jatin3893 and
> > http://parekhjatin.wordpress.com/ )
> >
> > While going through the ideas page for GSOC 2014, I came across the topic
> > related to "Climate and Geo-spatial data visualization", which seemed
> quite
> > attractive.

Great. We can certainly use your help. I will check with folks here on how
to proceed forward but in terms
of giving you bit more detail, I can follow up in a separate email.

> > Since I have just started looking at VTK's Source and using its API, I'd
> be
> > really glad if someone could tell me whether I can really apply for the
> > organisation or not. I have been working on C++, OpenGL and image related
> > work since quite a long time. Also, GSOC's duration is completely during
> my
> > summer vacations, and so I can devote most of my time for this, from now
> > itself.
>

> > With respect to understanding VTK's library, I am sure I can grasp it
> quick
> > enough to submit something substantial by the end of the program.
>

> > In short, I'd really want to know, keeping in mind my current knowledge
> of
> > VTK and prior experience with graphics, visualisation,C++ and the amount
> of
> > time I can devote, is the topic too ambitious or achievable for me under
> > guidance?

Given your experience, I think we should be able to complete few tasks.

> > Also, could someone please direct me to areas of VTK's source/examples
> which
> > I should be concentrating on keeping in mind the topic. Also, are there
> any
> > references which I can go through for understanding the topic better?

Sure, I will send you a detail email later today. Thank you so much for
your interest.

- Aashish