[vtkusers] Newbie question: which way to clip?

Richard Whitehead richard.whitehead at vivosight.com
Fri Feb 21 10:11:48 EST 2014

Please can you help this newbie who is lost in the number of possible ways
of doing a simple thing?

I have an image volume (vtkImageData).  I want to clip it in 2 different
views: one view is 3D, I want to be able to clip the x,y,z axes of the data
to show a volume of interest (without copying the data). For this I am
wondering if vtkImageClip or vtkExtractVIO is best?

The other view will display a slice in one of the image axes, and here
there seem to be many options; using vtkImageViewer2 doesn't seem to give
me control of clipping in x,y so I will need to have my own pipeline, and I
could use vtkImageClip, vtkExtractVOI, vtkImageActor, vtkImageSlice,
vtkImageReslice, vtkImageSliceMapper, vtkImageResliceMapper...

I'm lost with the options, please can someone advise?   Many thanks in
advance.