[vtkusers] vtkPointInTriangle - bug?

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Wed Feb 19 08:23:30 EST 2014

Hi Dov,

Looking at the source for vtkTriangle::PointInTriangle, it appears that 3 cross products are computed: for each corner point of the triangle, a vector from the test point p to the corner is crossed with an edge vector of the triangle. When p is in the plane of the corner points, these vectors are either aligned or opposite the plane normal. If all three cross products are codirectional, the point is inside the triangle. Otherwise it is out. This is tested by taking the dot product of each cross product with the others and verifying the sign is positive. As the test point is moved outside the plane, the cross products will eventually produce a negative dot product and the test will fail.

It's not how I would have written the test, but I believe it produces correct results when p is in the plane of the triangle. I do not think the test should be expected to work when p is far from the plane. However, I agree that the documentation should be improved. Please feel free to submit a patch to gerrit to improve it.

	David