[vtkusers] Clipping while preserving normals

Dov Grobgeld dov.grobgeld at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 08:28:59 EST 2014

Hello. I'm trying to do slicing of a complex model polygonal (read from an
STL file) with vtkCutter and I'm struggling to understand whether the
resulting polygons are "inside" or "outside". I realized that if I knew the
normal direction of the triangles cut by the vtkCutter, I could orient the
line segments of the cutting polygon such that "inside" is e.g. always on
the left side. But I couldn't find whether vtk retains a connection between
the cut polygon line segments and the corresponding 3D triangles that it
cut?

Thanks in advance!
Dov