[vtkusers] Issues with VTK Delaunay 2D for simple cases

updega2 updega2 at berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 19 16:15:48 EST 2014

Hi,

I am using vtkDelaunay2D for triangulation of cells in 3D based on lines and
points. Each one of the cells prior to triangulation has the boundary of a
triangle. Obviously, there are other points and lines given within the
triangle boundary, so there is something for the algorithm to triangulate.
Here are few bullet points describing what I am doing.

1. I use a transform to transform each cell to the xy plane prior to running
vtkDelaunay2D

2. Each cell has a triangular boundary, but there are other lines/points
within the boundary

3. I am doing a constrained delaunay (i.e. I am providing the triangular
boundary, so that cells can not be added outside the cell boundary)

This is working well besides what seems to be the easiest triangulations. By
easiest, I mean that the cell to be retriangulated lies in the xy plane, zx
plane, or yz plane prior to the transformation. Something interesting to
note, is if I take the transformed cell to be triangulated and I restrict
the precision of the points in the cell to 6 or 7 digits, the triangulation
works for any input cell. However, I don't want to have to restrict the
precision of the cell points, as that may cause issues later.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen similar issues, or if anyone has any
insight into this?

Thanks in advance,

Adam