[vtkusers] ThinPlateSpline regression

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 10:58:17 EDT 2014

Hi Michael,

No, I don't think that ThinPlateSplineTransform provides a way to do this.
I see a ComputeBestFittingPlane() method in vtkDelaunay2D, but it is a
protected method and, looking at the method that it uses, I don't think it
computes the "best" plane, anyway.

Hopefully other people who have used VTK to compute the best-fit plane
can give you a better answer, but my suggestion is to search the internet
for a method that computes the best plane via an eigenvalue decomposition
(my suspicion is that for the best-fit plane, the eigenvector for the smallest
eigenvalue is the normal of the plane, and the "origin" of the plane is the
centre-of-mass).

The vtkMath::Jacobi() function can compute the eigenvalues.

 - David