[vtkusers] Correct coordinate transformations for DICOM data set.

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 13:17:11 EDT 2014

About the code that I included in my previous email, I was
sure that I would forget something, and I did!

5) The "Origin" of the vtkImageData that you get from the
DICOM reader _must_ be (0,0,0) or else the matrix will not
work.  The matrix already has the position information from
the DICOM header.  The VTK "Origin" is not the same as the
DICOM "Position", so you cannot get "Image Position (Patient)"
from the DICOM header and then use that as your Origin!

Likewise, if you ever import oriented ITK images into VTK,
the ITK Origin and the VTK Origin are not the same thing!
The ITK Origin is defined with respect to the oriented image
(I.e. with respect to a rotated coordinate system), while the
VTK Origin is defined with respect to an un-oriented image
(i.e. with respect to a coordinate system where X, Y, and Z
are aligned with the column, row, and slice directions).

I hope this clarifies things, rather than just confusing them
further!

 - David