[vtkusers] [vtk-users] VTK 6.0 Compile issue with MinGW64 on Windows 7 x64

skn123 skn123 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:25:02 EDT 2014

You can (and should) use pthreads when using MinGW. I think the bug is
related to this line in CMakeLists
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Platform configuration tests.
include(TestBigEndian)
TEST_BIG_ENDIAN(CMAKE_WORDS_BIGENDIAN)

include(FindThreads) <------
set(VTK_USE_WIN32_THREADS 0)
set(VTK_USE_PTHREADS 0)
set(VTK_HP_PTHREADS 0)
set(VTK_USE_SPROC 0)
if(CMAKE_USE_WIN32_THREADS_INIT)
  set(VTK_USE_PTHREADS 1)#VTK_USE_WIN32_THREADS 1)

By default, if it sees a WIN32 platform it is activating windows threads. A
better way would be to activate Win32 threads only if a MSVC flag has been
detected. In my case, I manually changed it to VTK_USE_PTHREADS and the
compilation progressed smoothly.