[vtkusers] vtkOpenGLClearErrorMacro() never returns

Marco Sambin m.sambin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 05:49:45 EDT 2014

Hi Richard,

quite a while ago, while I was making experiments with the use of JOGL with
VTK under Windows, I encountered the same issue that you describe.

Basically, in some cases my application got stuck, and the CPU usage went
up to 25% (I have a quad core processor on my dev PC). I discovered this
was due to a "vtkClearOpenGLErrors()" call in the rendering pipeline, which
was iterating indefinitely in its "while" loop. Not sure what was the real
cause of this, did not have the time to debug in detail. At that time, I
worked around the problem by setting the VTK_REPORT_OPENGL_ERRORS option to
"false" on CMake (which forces the implementation of vtkClearOpenGLErrors()
to be empty). I understand that this may not be a viable workaround in your
case, and I also believe it would be good to understand the real cause for
this infinite loop inside vtkClearOpenGLErrors().

But for now, I can only let you know that "you are not alone" ;-)

Maybe someone else on the list can shed some more light or share some
experience about this issue.

Best regards,

Marco