[vtkusers] How stable is v.6?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 12:13:03 EDT 2014

Whether it is worthwhile to do the upgrade depends on your specific
requirements. VTK 6 has fixed many bugs and added many features
since VTK 5.10, and I think that it is fair to say that it is more stable
than VTK 5.10.  A summary of new features is provided on the wiki:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK

Migrating a large project to VTK 6 could be a lot of work, and I have
several projects that I haven't migrated yet.  An API migration document
is provided here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/VTK_6_Migration_Guide
but I haven't seen a similar document that describes exactly how to
migrate your CMakeLists.txt files.

I suppose the real question is whether the migration will become
easier in the future.  Most likely it won't, so there really isn't any
advantage in waiting.

  David