[vtkusers] Issues with vtkJoglCanvasComponent/vtkJoglPanelComponent

Marco Sambin m.sambin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 06:56:38 EDT 2013

Hi all.
In my VTK6 / Java7 application, I am experimenting with
vtkJoglCanvasComponent and vtkJoglPanelComponent.
I have some issues with them:

* vtkJoglCanvasComponent: this is a heavyweight component, and that's OK
with me. But I have rendering issues when I move my container panel (i.e.,
the parent panel containing the vtkJoglCanvasComponent) to a different
location with respect to the original one, e.g., at runtime I move the
panel to a different side of a BorderLayout. In this case, the whole
painting of the 3D scene at the new location stops working: after the move,
I see an "almost empty" 3D view, with some painting artifacts in it. Can
you guess why this may happen? Maybe some "glue" code is missing
between vtkJoglCanvasComponent component events and JOGL viewports etc.? If
made some tests, but I have been unable to fix the issue so far.

* vtkJoglPanelComponent: this is a lightweight component, which should have
less "Swing integration" issues compared with vtkJoglCanvasComponent.
However, if I use it in my application, the 3D view appears much smaller
than it is expected to be. See this screenshot:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Byrp2xME712ubEJIajVfckllMkE/edit?usp=sharing

The black area is the size of the vtkJoglPanelComponent's panel, while the
dark gray area is where the 3D scene is rendered to. Can you guess why this
happens?

Even in this case, despite of the lightweight nature, if I programmatically
move my container panel at runtime, the rendering of the 3D scene stops
working, as described above for the vtkJoglCanvasComponent.

Debugging my application, I checked the size of the vtkRenderWindow
connected with the vtkJoglCanvasComponent/vtkJoglPanelComponent, and it
seems OK. Hence, it is unclear to me why the 3D scene is rendering so small
in this second test case (i.e., when using vtkJoglPanelComponent).

Any hint/suggestion about what I should look at would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Marco