[vtkusers] pythonwrap on windows

Karl Loewenich karl.loewenich at vodafone.it
Mon Sep 16 04:34:31 EDT 2013

Dear Vtkusers,

I am trying to compile vtk5.10.1 (for Release) on windows vista from source with visual c++ 2010 express with qt and python wrapping enabled.
Vtk compiles without complaints.

when I try to do

vtkpython Cone2.py from the command line

i get

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\vtkbinary\bin\Release\Cone2.py", line 15, in <module>
    import vtk
  File "C:\vtkbinary\Wrapping\Python\vtk\__init__.py", line 63, in <module>
    __helper.refine_import_err('rendering', 'vtkRenderingPython', exc)
  File "C:\vtkbinary\Wrapping\Python\vtk\__helper.py", line 32, in refine_import_err
    raise LinkError, str(exc)
LinkError: DLL load failed: Impossibile trovare la procedura specificata.

if I understand it right from looking into the __init__.py file, python wants to load vtkRenderingPython.dll at this point. However this file does not exist
in my ...vtkbinary/bin/Release  Directory where vtkpython.exe lives nor seems to exist in any other directory.. I see only vtkRenderingPythonD.dll , vtkCommonPythonD.dll.... and the like.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance for any help

Karl