[vtkusers] New DICOM reader for VTK

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 09:53:37 EDT 2013

I'm pleased to announce a project to enhance the support for DICOM files in VTK.

The VTK-DICOM project provides a new DICOM reader for VTK with
the following features:
- Efficient and comprehensive access to DICOM meta data.
- Image orientation management.
- Support for multi-dimensional data sets.
- Support for enhanced multi-frame CT and MR files.
- Support for multi-frame cine and NM files.
- Compressed image support via GDCM.

Work on a DICOM writer class for VTK is proceeding rapidly, with a
release expected by the end of the month.  This project has been
supported by the Calgary Image Processing and Analysis Centre at
the University of Calgary.

The source code is available here:
http://github.com/dgobbi/vtk-dicom

Comprehensive documentation is also available:
http://www.cognitive-antics.net/vtk-dicom/
http://www.cognitive-antics.net/vtk-dicom/vtk-dicom.pdf

Feedback is welcome.  If you use these classes in your own projects,
I would love to hear how well they fit your needs.