[vtkusers] VTK6 + Java7 on Mac: offscreen rendering?

Marco Sambin m.sambin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 10:34:44 EDT 2013

Hi Seb,

thanks for your feedback.

I've just tested on Mac (Mac OS X 10.8.4, Java 7u25, Macbook Pro i5), and
here is what happens:

- I am able to correctly display the 3D scene with the 3
vtkImagePlaneWidgets (for the first time on VTK + Mac OS X + Java 7, and
that's good! :-)).

- I am able to interact with the 3D scene (i.e., move/rotate the camera)
when dragging my mouse on the 3D scene OUTSIDE the vtkImagePlaneWidgets.

- If I press or drag with the mouse INSIDE the vtkImagePlaneWidgets, then
the JVM crashes. Here is a relevant (I hope) fragment of the JVM crash dump:

=================
[...]

Stack: [0x000000013d09c000,0x000000013d19c000],  sp=0x000000013d197fa0,
 free space=1007k
Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native
code)
C  [libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.1.1.dylib+0x857b7]
 _ZN11vtkUpload3DIhE6UploadEPvPhPjiPxiPi+0xd5
C  [libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.1.1.dylib+0x81834]
 _ZN20vtkPixelBufferObject8Upload3DEiPvPjiPxiPi+0x9a8
C  [libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.1.1.dylib+0x7a085]
 _ZN16vtkOpenGLTexture4LoadEP11vtkRenderer+0x1a7d
C  [libvtkRenderingFreeType-6.1.1.dylib+0x1b8c6]
 _ZN12vtkTextActor13RenderOverlayEP11vtkViewport+0x5a
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x7bd38]
 _ZN11vtkRenderer14UpdateGeometryEv+0x114
C  [libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.1.1.dylib+0x6a3aa]
 _ZN17vtkOpenGLRenderer12DeviceRenderEv+0xea
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x7b5c1]
 _ZN11vtkRenderer6RenderEv+0x26f
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x7aacc]
 _ZN21vtkRendererCollection6RenderEv+0x5a
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x824c3]
 _ZN15vtkRenderWindow14DoStereoRenderEv+0x83
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x8241b]
 _ZN15vtkRenderWindow10DoFDRenderEv+0x38d
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x8206a]
 _ZN15vtkRenderWindow10DoAARenderEv+0x43a
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x81905]
 _ZN15vtkRenderWindow6RenderEv+0x149
C  [libvtkRenderingCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x85673]
 _ZN25vtkRenderWindowInteractor6RenderEv+0x27
C  [libvtkCommonCore-6.1.1.dylib+0x59561]
 _ZN18vtkCallbackCommand7ExecuteEP9vtkObjectmPv+0x21
C  [libvtkCommonCore-6.1.1.dylib+0xb60bc]
 _ZN16vtkSubjectHelper11InvokeEventEmPvP9vtkObject+0x39a
j  vtk.vtkRenderWindowInteractor.LeftButtonPressEvent_109()V+0
j  vtk.vtkRenderWindowInteractor.LeftButtonPressEvent()V+1
 vtk.rendering.vtkInteractorForwarder.mousePressed(Ljava/awt/event/MouseEvent;)V+227
j  java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Ljava/awt/event/MouseEvent;)V+54
j  java.awt.Component.processEvent(Ljava/awt/AWTEvent;)V+81
j  java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Ljava/awt/AWTEvent;)V+581

Java frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code)
j  vtk.vtkRenderWindowInteractor.LeftButtonPressEvent_109()V+0
j  vtk.vtkRenderWindowInteractor.LeftButtonPressEvent()V+1
 vtk.rendering.vtkInteractorForwarder.mousePressed(Ljava/awt/event/MouseEvent;)V+227
j  java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Ljava/awt/event/MouseEvent;)V+54
j  java.awt.Component.processEvent(Ljava/awt/AWTEvent;)V+81
j  java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Ljava/awt/AWTEvent;)V+581
 java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Ljava/awt/EventQueue;Ljava/awt/AWTEvent;Ljava/lang/Object;)V
J  java.awt.EventQueue$3.run()Ljava/lang/Object;
v  ~StubRoutines::call_stub
 java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Ljava/security/PrivilegedAction;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;)Ljava/lang/Object;
 java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Ljava/security/PrivilegedAction;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;)Ljava/lang/Object;
 java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Ljava/security/PrivilegedAction;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;)Ljava/lang/Object;+6
j  java.awt.EventQueue$4.run()Ljava/lang/Void;+11
j  java.awt.EventQueue$4.run()Ljava/lang/Object;+1
v  ~StubRoutines::call_stub
 java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Ljava/security/PrivilegedAction;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;)Ljava/lang/Object;
 java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Ljava/security/PrivilegedAction;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;Ljava/security/AccessControlContext;)Ljava/lang/Object;
j  java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Ljava/awt/AWTEvent;)V+73
j  java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(I)V+245
 java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(ILjava/awt/Conditional;Ljava/awt/EventFilter;)V+35
 java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(ILjava/awt/Conditional;Ljava/awt/Component;)V+11
j  java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(ILjava/awt/Conditional;)V+4
j  java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Ljava/awt/Conditional;)V+3
j  java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run()V+9
v  ~StubRoutines::call_stub

[...]

Please let me know if this tells you something useful, and if I can be of
further help.

I will now make some tests on Linux as well, and will report back to you.

Thanks and best regards,

Marco Sambin