[vtkusers] 3D Volume of 2D JPEG slices

Christian Lackas lackas at invicro.com
Thu Sep 5 12:29:19 EDT 2013

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering what the most efficient way to handle this problem:
We have a large stack of 2D JPEG images (RGB data, not just gray level)
and we would like to show slices along the XY, XZ and YZ planes like you
can easily do this for gray-level valued volume data.

I have searched the VTK and ITK archives a bit and could not find a
solution that does not just fall back to gray level or color mapped
data, however, keeps the RGB data intact.

E.g. see for instance (with the same issue):

    http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Combining-2D-jpeg-files-into-a-3D-image-tt4881674.html#none

or, converting to gray level data:

    http://itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/IO/VolumeFromSlices

Based on this ITK example, I am wondering if using an
itk::ImageSeriesReader<ImageType> with an RGB<ushort> PixelType for the
image is the way to go?
However, how can I get from there back to VTK? It seems like
itkImageToVTKImageFilter does not support more complex pixel types.
And VTKImageExport explicitly say it does not support RGBPixel either.
Are there any other ways to do this efficiently?

Any hints are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
 Christian

--