[vtkusers] How to project a curve onto surface

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 01:39:07 EST 2013

A lot depends on the nature of the curve and the surface.

a) is the curve (close to) planar?
b) is the surface close to planar near the curve?
c) do you want the curve literally "projected" onto the surface, or do want
   the curve somehow "draped" over the surface?

Easiest is probably the case where the surface is large and locally "flat" near the curve, and the curve
itself is relatively flat.  Select a compromise plane (or, from another point of view, a compromise vector from the curve in the direction of the surface).  Sample the curve, and cast rays from curve sample points in the direction of the surface.  Find points of intersection and connect the dots.

If both the surface and the curve are convoluted, then the problem becomes much harder, and the answer less well defined.

Good luck!
--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com