[vtkusers] DICOM to Model Mesh

Miro Drahos mdrahos at robodoc.com
Tue Nov 26 22:05:10 EST 2013

This is basically a segmentation problem, which in general is a
difficult problem.
One such pipeline could be as follows:
1.) image preprocessing (cropping, smoothing, etc).
2.) thresholding to get a filled binary mask of your object (vertebra)
3.) running Marching Cubes to get a mesh.

This is a very crude and basic approach, but something to get you
started. Note that marching cubes might give you a mesh with topological
defects (holes, handles), from the noise in your data.

There are a variety of other sophisticated algorithms, e.g. using
statistical methods if you have some already segmented data (like
creating a mean shape from the previously segmented data, and using PCA
to do shape analysis, or some machine learning approach).

Another approach would be to use deformable models, i.e. define forces
that would (iteratively) drive an initial mesh to fit the image. The
forces would be based on image intensity, gradient and/or laplacian, and
internal forces to keep the mesh regular and relatively smooth.

There is a lot that has been done in this domain, so look at some
articles on segmentation.

HTH,
Miro