[vtkusers] Explicit numbering of nodes for Xdmf/h5

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Mon Nov 25 18:13:36 EST 2013

I could see doing it by writing out an indirection array:
-1 ... -1 0 -1 1 -1 ... -1 2 -1 ... -1 4
where the 0 is in the 20'th place, 1 the 22'nd, 2 the 88'th and 4 the
300'th,
and using an arcane function syntax that goes something like
JOIN($0[20];$0[22];$0[88];$0[300]).

I wouldn't recommend it because:
1) it would make the output bigger
2) the indirection step is likely to make the reader really slow
3) function support is notoriously iffy in the history of xdmf and
vtkXdmfReader
4) in order to make the indirection array your exporter would have to
gather just as much information as it would need to reorder the data
upfront.

Instead I recommend renumbering the indices in the exporter and then use
the GlobalIds attribute type in xdmf to keep a record around of what the
original indices for each VTK array were.

Yes I see your point that it would be useful to add a new indirection
function type to xdmf. Unfortunately, I think that is very low on the list
of priorities for the nebulous xdmf developer community.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive