[vtkusers] Writing my own .NET wrappers for vt 6.0

sean.larkin at lickenbrocktech.com sean.larkin at lickenbrocktech.com
Thu Nov 21 17:35:55 EST 2013

I am an Activiz NET user (i.e. I use vtk through the C# wrappers).
Activiz NEThas not been updated since vtk 5.8 was released (the project
has been shelved due to funding issues).  There are a few issues with
vtk 5.8 when using GPUs with more than 4 GB VRAM, which is my main
reason for migrating to the new vtk.  I have a fully developed user
interface built with C# that uses the vtk C# wrappers.  I'd like to
migrate to the new vtk to eliminate the VRAM issues.  I'm considering
writing my own wrappers for vtk using managed C++ (or C++/CLI, whatever
it is called).  I would try to use the existing Activiz NET code, but I
have no idea how it works or where to begin.  My question is, does it
seem like a good/workable idea to write vtk wrappers using managed C++?
I would not be writing wrappers for the entire vtk library, but rather
just the small subset of classes that I use.  The classes would be
vtkRenderWindow, vtkActor, vtkImageRedaer, vtkVolumeMapper,
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper, vtkVolume, and a few others.  Anyone with any
experience or any thoughts on writing the wrapper I appreciate the
feedback.

Thanks,
Sean