[vtkusers] VTK6 SetInputData for vtkImageActor: nothing shows

Doug Hoppes dhoppes at mbfbioscience.com
Mon Nov 18 08:48:37 EST 2013

Hi all,

                I'm migrating our application from VTK5.10 to VTK6.  I'm running into an issue with the VTKImageActor: The image data no longer shows up in the Image actor.  In VTK 5.10, there is no problem.  I can see our image data on the actor.  In VTK 6, I only see a black area.

                Code:
                                // Create the image data and load it with our pixel information
                      vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData> pImageData = vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData>::New();
            SetupVTKImageDimensions(pImageData);
            pImageData->AllocateScalars(VTK_UNSIGNED_CHAR, iNumOfScalarComponents);
            unsigned char* pDest = static_cast<unsigned char*>(pImageData->GetScalarPointer());
            CopyImageData(pDest); //our code for copying the image data

            // Adjust the size of the image data
            vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageShiftScale> pWindowLevel = vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageShiftScale>::New();
            pWindowLevel->SetOutputScalarTypeToUnsignedChar();
            pWindowLevel->ClampOverflowOn();

            // Assign the image data to the image actor
            pWindowLevel->SetInputData(pImageData);
            m_pImageActor->SetInputData(pWindowLevel->GetOutput());

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Doug