[vtkusers] vtkExodusIIReader/Writer examples in Python

Meehan, Bernard MEEHANBT at nv.doe.gov
Thu Nov 14 11:12:21 EST 2013

Hi David - that is a cool example, a couple of things that I hadn't even
known existed in the toolkit.

The datasets that I have contain two features that I would like to get at
- global information, like total energy input, total kinetic energy, etc.,
that I would like to be able to graph, and then unstructured blocks
hexahedrons with point and cell data that I would like to (for example) be
able to probe with a plane. I have looked at the files with 'ncdump' but
wasn't sure how the various structures end up the vtkExodusIIReader
object. I could have the wrong idea about Exodus II files as well - my
understanding of the format does not go much past "they end in .exo"

I think I have a good-ish idea of what should be in the file, just not so
good of an idea of how to get it and plot it, etc. If I were to have a
wish list of things for examples it might read something like:

Print out the list of global information (like 'EKIN', the kinetic
energy), select one and plot it in 2D.

Print out a list of the node or cell information (like 'DENSITY'), and
plot it in 3D.

Thanks again for the example, I'm going to have to tinker with it a bit
and learn about other uses I could have for vtkTable and
vtkOrderStatistics.

Cheers,
Tim