[vtkusers] Point Cloud To Surface

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Tue May 14 17:53:46 EDT 2013

Your basic problem is polynomial explosion of the Delaunay3D computation.

Here's an idea.

a) divide up space into OVERLAPPING chunks.  Each chunk should have a core which belongs ONLY to
that chunk, plus a surrounding guard zone which overlaps with adjacent chunks.

b) solve the iso-surface problem (using Delaunay3D) inside each chunk

c) keep the part of the iso-surface inside the UNshared core of each chunk.

Note that this all depends on your point cloud being somewhat dense and regular.  The idea is that the Delaunay triangulation at the edges of each chunk's core area should match the DTs at adjacent
core areas.  To the extent this is NOT true, you will have some stitching artifacts.

There are many details to work out - but these depend on your data.

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com