[vtkusers] Separation of <Points> and <Cells> datablocks from Unstructured Grid (.vtu) files

Frank Everdij F.P.X.Everdij at tudelft.nl
Mon May 13 10:13:30 EDT 2013

Replying to my own post:

As for the monolithic approach in a single .vtu file i've found a
paraview-developers post by Mathieu Malaterre in 2005:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/paraview-developers/2005-June/000239.html

I've tested it in Paraview 3.14.1 and even though this is relevant to
Paraview 2.2 beta, this approach still works fine: a single <Points> and
<Cells> block followed by multiple <PointData> or <CellData> blocks with
TimeStep attribute in the <DataArray> blocks. If you don't specify a
TimeStep attribute then the <DataArray> block is valid for every
timevalue. Additionally you need:

<UnstructuredGrid TimeValues="1 2 3">

Still, i would like to know if this will work with newer versions of the
VTK toolkit, or that we have to change this in the future. I for myself
would like to prefer creating new smaller files with separate <Points>
or <Cells> data when adding progressive simulation data over handling a
single file.

drs Frank Everdij  Email:F.P.X.Everdij at tudelft.nl
Tel:+31 15 2788202 Room:CT-6.34
Developer SSC-ICT at Delft University of Technology