[vtkusers] vtkCanvas and "Visualization Toolkit" window

Marco Sambin m.sambin at gmail.com
Fri May 10 05:08:28 EDT 2013

Hi Seb,

thanks for your reply.
The short answer is: yes, I am building and adding my vtkCanvas to my
application GUI in the EDT.

Let me explain a bit more how my application is working: this is a
Swing-based Java application, managing medical images. When I press a
button on the GUI of this application, the VTK-based reslicing feature
(based on vtkImagePlaneWidget's functionality) is invoked.

In particular, the three vtkImagePlaneWidgets are initialized, are
connected with a Reader loading the volume (which was initialized in a
separate thread), and they are placed in the vtkCanvas. This vtkCanvas is
then added to a JPanel inside my application's GUI.

Debugging my application, I have noticed that the separate "Visualization
Toolkit" window appears upon calling the Render() method on my vtkCanvas in
a moment when the vtkCanvas hasn't been added to the parent JPanel yet.

Shall I absolutely avoid calling Render() on a vtkCanvas which is not
visible yet?

Thanks and best regards,

Marco