[vtkusers] Point Cloud To Surface

Simon von Bibra simfirehawk at gmx.de
Mon May 6 04:05:39 EDT 2013

Hello Community,

maybe this question has been asked already, but I could not find a good
answer so far.

I have a cloud of points, where each point has a scalar value. Now I
want to have a iso-surface for a given scalar value.
I tried already following approaches:

1. Create a mesh with Delaunay3D:
      Works maybe ok for sizes of up to 10000 points, but for more
points it is unusable
2.  Gaussian Splatter, but here I could not get it right. In the end I
just had some sphere, but no real iso-surface.

I thought, I can maybe regularize the point cloud with something like
marching cubes, but I did not get it to work. Also I will loose
correctness, because of the regular sampling.

Any ideas what will be a good way, to create the correct iso-surface?

Thanks in advance
Simon