[vtkusers] Does vtkInformation::Set(DATA_OBJECT, ...) perform a deep copy?

Alex Malyushytskyy alexmalvtk at gmail.com
Wed May 1 17:56:17 EDT 2013

The code with smartpointer should also work.
Assignment to smart pointer will increase the counter.
So output will not be deleted when filter goes out of scope.

( http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Tutorials/SmartPointers )

But if you look in VTK api you would not find public functions which return
or pass smartpointer.
I think for a reason to avoid duplication of similar function. Returning
pointer is minimal and sufficient.

So people (at least me) are avoiding it, especially if you write piece of
code which later could be considered to be included in vtk.

Regards,
    Alex