[vtkusers] VTK+Qt really needs QtWebKit?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Mar 29 14:30:33 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 1:48 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I believe it with VTK 5.10...
> >
> > I am using VTK 'master' and I think something has snuck in that requires
> > webkit for Qt builds now. I don't recall the exact compiler/linker error I
> > was seeing, but it was definitely webkit related.
> >

> That makes sense. Sorry I did not specify the version in the first post.

I know this pretty well because I dealt with it in modularization (and
before then). VTK used to probe your Qt configuration and enable
certain functionality if webkit was present. With modular VTK we made
the decision not to allow a module to be built differently based on
what it detected. So I split out the class (that was optionally
removed before) into GUISupport/QtWebkit.

I guess the problem you are seeing is that we put that module in the
Qt group, so if you are enabling groups it looks like webkit is
required. It is really only one class (vtkQtRichTextView), and we
could remove this module from the Qt group requiring users to
specifically enable the module if they want that class. You can
disable the Qt group, and simply enable the modules you are interested
in (such as vtkGUISupportQt) that definitely do not require webkit.

Marcus