[vtkusers] Different visualizations of 3D Data

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Mar 27 09:58:30 EDT 2013

vtkContourFilter can produce multiple isocontours via the
setnumberofContours and setValues methods.

vtkClipDataSet will produce slices.

google search them to find the doxygen, read that and then look for the
examples and tests lists to see them in use.

Let me suggest some approaches first though.

Once you've made the structured points from your data, use vtkDataSetWriter
to write that data to a file. Then open it up with ParaView and use the GUI
to create visualizations. This will get you going very quickly.

The next easiest thing to do is get a hold of python wrapped vtk and set up
your paths such that it is useable within Idle. A python IDE with tab
completion is the next easiest way I know of to learn VTK since
introspection brings all of the doxygen help for every object to your
fingertips and experimentation takes place as quickly as you can type.

good luck and welcome to VTK!

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer