[vtkusers] Buffered Reading of vti File

Grant McAuley gmcauley at llu.edu
Tue Mar 26 23:42:51 EDT 2013

Thanks again for your reply.

> > I am new to vtk, and am guessing that what I want to do is not a
> > standard vtk use case.
>
> I'm not sure such a thing exists. I always seem to find corner
> cases too.

Glad I'm not the only one!

> > While the vti files are used for the
> > purpose of later visualization (eg, in ParaView) of simulation
> > data, what I want to do here is to just get data out of the vti
> > to feed into another simulation.
>
> Maybe you can set up your pipeline like :
>
> reader -> clip
>
> where clip is an instance of vtkImageClip :
>
> http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImageClip.html
>
> and you can clip->SetOutputWholeExtent( x1,x2,y1,y2,z1,z2);
> clip->Update(); when your 'other' simulation leaves the previous
> extent.
>

> I will look into this.  However, I hope I didn't muddy the waters by
mentioning the two simulations.  To simplify and try again:

I think all that I need to understand is how to use a reader to read a data
array in blocks - one block at a time.  You mentioned in your first reply:

>The *.vti reader, vtkXMLImageDataReader, can read the image one requested
piece at a time

That sounds exactly like what I need to know.  Eg, if a DataArray in the
file has 10,000 points, I want to read 0-999, 1000-1999, etc.  I started to
look at the source earlier, and will pick it up again tomorrow.  In the
mean time, any more tips or code samples would be appreciated.

--
Grant McAuley
Postdoctoral Fellow
gmcauley at llu.edu