[vtkusers] Buffered Reading of vti File

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Tue Mar 26 18:05:13 EDT 2013

On 03/26/2013 05:29 PM, Grant McAuley wrote:

> Because of memory limits, I need to read large vti files (~10 Gb)
> in successive stages.  Eg, read and process the first 100,000
> points, read and process the next 100,000, etc.
>
> Pardon me if I missed something obvious,

Don't worry this isn't obvious.

but is there
> functionality in vtk to do a buffered reading of files?  Sample
> code would also be very helpful.

Yes! we call it streaming.

When there isn't enough RAM for even one copy of the image the
trick is to make sure that the whole pipeline is streamed.

Because of the "demand driven pipeline" model the end of the
pipeline must ask for only pieces of the whole input.

The *.vti reader, vtkXMLImageDataReader, can read the image one
requested piece at a time.

Does your pipeline look like reader -> filter -> writer, or
reader -> filter -> renderer?