[vtkusers] VTK 6 porting

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Mar 15 13:38:28 EDT 2013

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:29:19 -0400, Marcus D. Hanwell said:

>If you don't want to use CMake you will have to generate the compiler
>definitions yourself. You can easily build a small CMake project, get
>the definitions and use them. Alternatively we could document what
>those definitions trigger so that you could add a source file manually
>to your project. I added runtime warnings about abstract objects in
>master to make this easier to diagnose too.

Yes, I see those warnings you added... but it's not clear to me how to act on them (I haven't had the time to look deeply).

I like the idea of you documenting 'what those definitions trigger', not only to make my life easier :) but because I suspect it's fairly common that people use the resulting VTK libraries in their favourite IDEs (VS, Xcode).  It's totally understandable/reasonable to require people to use CMake to *build* VTK, but once built, it's just a bunch of library files that should be usable in Xcode, VS, or automake projects... it was possible in VTK 5, and this may catch people by surprise, as I believe is what has happened here.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com