[vtkusers] Keyboard and mouse interaction on OSX

Xavier Tricoche xmt at purdue.edu
Fri Mar 15 10:40:44 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'd be curious to know the status of the keyboard and mouse interaction support in VTK on OSX. Basically my experience has been that many widgets don't work properly on macs (vtkSliderWidget is one notable exception) and that keyboard events (caught, e.g., through proper observers) are never passed on.

I remember reading on the Wiki that a solution to this problem (a workaround, rather) was to create bundled apps but that does not apply to programs with command line options or python scripts.

I am using VTK (5.10.1) in my graduate visualization class (I have been for a while) and the increasing popularity of both macs and python among my students make that a pretty distracting issue from a logistical standpoint. Some students have to run VTK on a Linux virtual machine to complete projects on their macs.

Hence, I'd be most thankful for any information I can obtain as to what is causing these issues and whether there are concrete plans to address them.

Thanks!

Xavier