[vtkusers] Confused about the number of cells after vtkClipPolyData with implicit function

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 16:07:15 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 3:44 PM, David E DeMarle
<dave.demarle at kitware.com> wrote:
> Not me, but if you make a vtkDataSetWriter and dump the output as text, you
> can either look at the file and see what is unaccounted for, or open it up
> in ParaView and use the spreadsheet view to see it more effectively.

The cells seem to be well formed, but there are tons of NAN points
that I guess the cells are referencing. At line 250ish in
vtkClipPolyData.cxx:

    // evaluate implicit cutting function
    for ( i=0; i < numberOfPoints; i++ )
      {
      s = clipScalars->GetComponent(cellIds->GetId(i),0);
      cellScalars->InsertTuple(i, &s);
      }

's' is getting set to -inf for many of the cells, which is my best
quick guess at what is causing the NANs. Kind of looks like a bug to
me, unless I'm setting up something incorrectly in the example.

David