[vtkusers] Memory mangement in vtk

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Sun Jun 16 20:03:37 EDT 2013

No current plans. The major issue is the effort involved in migrating all
of the VTK code base as well as all applications that use VTK. It would be
significant. There are also some other, more technical, issues. We have
developed useful tools that depend on VTK's reference counting over the
years. One is the ability to detect and break cycles. The other is the
ability to track leaks of reference counted objects. I am not sure what it
would take to implement these over shared_ptr.

-berk