[vtkusers] Draw points with gaussian fade out

Michka Popoff michkapopoff at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 11:18:57 EDT 2013

Hi

I want to draw a lot of points in VTK (~1.000.000), with each point's color fading out to a transparent value, following a gaussian function.
So the center will be bright (maximum intensity), and the border will have no color.

I am able to draw a lot of points using vtkPoints, I can also change their color, but I am looking for a way to apply the fade out to every point. Of course the parameters of the gaussian function will be different for each point (intensity value in the middle, diameter).

The result for 1 point would look like this : http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/images/deconv/Gauss2Psf.jpg

Are there some filters/mappers I could use directly ? Or can I perhaps try to "hijack" vtkgaussiansplatter to achieve this ?

Thanks in advance

Michka Popoff