[vtkusers] scaling and glyphs in VTK

Doug Hoppes dhoppes at mbfbioscience.com
Wed Jun 12 14:10:58 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

                Okay... not sure where to look about this.  So, I have a glyph3D that is using a vtkspheresource.  I have the following code:

      // Create a sphere to represent the data
      vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource> pSphereSource = vtkSmartPointer<vtkSphereSource>::New();
      m_ pSphereSource ->SetThetaResolution(16);
      m_ pSphereSource ->SetPhiResolution(16);
      m_ pSphereSource ->SetRadius(1.0);

      vtkSmartPointer<vtkGlyph3D> glyph3D = vtkSmartPointer<vtkGlyph3D>::New();
      glyph3D->SetSource(m_pSphereSource->GetOutput());

      // Get the points to show
      glyph3D->SetInput(m_pCenterPoints->GetOutput());
      glyph3D->SetScaleModeToDataScalingOff();
      glyph3D->Update();

      // Show the selection actor in the scene
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper> mapper = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataMapper>::New();
      mapper->SetInputConnection(glyph3D->GetOutputPort());

      // Create the actor based on the selection definition
      m_pSelectionActor = vtkSmartPointer<vtkActor>::New();
      m_pSelectionActor->SetMapper(mapper);
      mapper->ScalarVisibilityOff();
      m_pSelectionActor->GetProperty()->SetColor(225, 225, 225);

What I found out is that, depending on what other actors I have in the scene, sometimes the glyphs are large and easily seen.  Other times the glyphs are incredibly small.  I would like to be able to have the sphere's one size all of the time (no matter what actors are in the scene).  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Doug