[vtkusers] A general advice for design stage of a new project

Julien Finet julien.finet at kitware.com
Tue Jun 11 11:28:43 EDT 2013

Hi,

An advice would be:
  do not start your project from scratch (except if you intend to use a new
(revolutionary) technology).

There are many opensource (BSD like ) ITK and VTK based frameworks you can
start from. The most popular/advanced allow you to extend them and
sometimes to customize and redesign the entire front end GUI while reusing
the internals.

Here are some of those ITK/VTK frameworks: 3D Slicer, ParaView, VolView,
MITK, GIMIAS, MAF...

Each framework has pros and cons, you probably need to review each of them
(and/or contact their mailing lists) to find the one that is closest to you
needs. You can also use http://www.ohloh.net to see how advanced, popular
and active each project is.

Note also the resourceful webinar:  Building Qt-enabled VTK
applications<http://vimeo.com/64823685>

Hth,
Julien.