[vtkusers] changing camera settings and lighting

Gerrick Bivins Gerrick.Bivins at halliburton.com
Thu Jun 6 13:53:40 EDT 2013

Hi All,
I'm trying to understand how to create a left-handed coordinate system view with +z axis into the screen,
+y axis up and + x axis to the right and also have the lighting update appropriately.

One thing I've been wrestling with is accessing the underlying ModelViewMatrix (in OpenGL glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW).
I thought I could set the ModelViewMatrix directly somehow but couldn't find what I needed .
I then saw that vtkCamera has a ModelViewMatrix but I'm am unable to set it properly. Seems that you can set
parts of the matrix and then the remainder is built assuming "right handedness", I think.

The closest I've gotten is by setting the ModelTransform (note, not ModelViewTransform!) which in I believe
is simply applying the transform to the data. This however mucks up the lighting and various combinations of
vtkReverseSense and vtkPolyDataNormal settings didn't seem to make a difference. Lighting wasn't correct, ie dark surfaces,
backside culled etc.
Any examples out there of how to setup a  left handed coordinate system view?
Thanks for any insight here.
Gerrick

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.