[vtkusers] How to obtain a vtk.jar compatible with Java 6

Marco Sambin m.sambin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 11:56:17 EDT 2013

Hi all.

I am building VTK 6 on Windows. From CMake, I generate MS Visual Studio
2010 projects for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.

In CMake, I enabled Java wrapping, as I need to use VTK 6 from a Java
application.
I specify the path of the JDK version 7 which is installed on my
development machine.

The build process works fine, but I end up with a "vtk.jar" containing
class files which are only compatible with JRE v7. Is there a way to
specify some flags in CMake which would force the class files within
vtk.jar to be built with the "-source 1.6" option of javac, forcing
compatibility with JRE v6 or newer?

One solution is obviously to install JDK 6 on my development machine, and
have CMake build vtk.jar using that JDK.

But I was wondering if there is a solution allowing me to use JDK 7 to
build vtk.jar, still maintaining compatibility with JRE v6.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Best regards,

Marco Sambin