[vtkusers] How to create a surface from a group of unorganized 2-D points?

abhishek abhishek at meddiff.com
Fri Jul 26 04:22:39 EDT 2013

Hello user,

I want to create a surface from a group of unorganized 2-D points.

As seen in the attached figure, I am able to generate a surface but some
points(in red) are inside the surface.

surface.png <http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5722255/surface.png>

How can I create surface such that all points lie on the edge and not
inside?

This is what my code looks like:
// Add the grid points to a polydata object
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> polydata =	vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData>::New();
polydata->SetPoints(orgPoints);

// create geometry.
vtkSmartPointer<vtkVertexGlyphFilter> glyphFilter =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkVertexGlyphFilter>::New();
glyphFilter->SetInputConnection(polydata->GetProducerPort());
glyphFilter->Update();
glyphFilter->GetOutput()->Print(cout);

//delunay
// Create the convex hull of the pointcloud
vtkSmartPointer<vtkDelaunay2D> delaunay = vtkSmartPointer< vtkDelaunay2D
>::New();
delaunay->SetInput(glyphFilter->GetOutput());
delaunay->SetTolerance(0.01);
delaunay->Update();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter> surfaceFilter =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter>::New();
surfaceFilter->SetInputConnection(delaunay->GetOutputPort());
surfaceFilter->Update();