[vtkusers] 3D surface generation using marching cube

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 15:34:33 EDT 2013

I recommend you look at Slicer. It is an application that uses ITK, VTK and
a number of other open source toolkits.
3D Slicer is:
* A software platform for the analysis and visualization of medical images
and for research in image guided therapy.
* A free, open source software available on multiple operating systems
(Windows, MAC, Linux).
* Extensible, with powerful plug-in capabilities for adding algorithms and
applications.
http://www.slicer.org/slicerWiki/index.php/Documentation/4.2/Developers

Features include:
* Available for windows, linux and Mac OS X
* Support for many modalities, including, MRI, CT, US, nuclear medicine,
and microscopy
* Robust support for DICOM
* Flexible display capabilities with a variety of predefined layouts for
slice reformats and 3d views
* Annotations
* Accelerated volume rendering
* Powerful data fusion and registration capabilities
* Automated and interactive segmentation tools
* Surface reconstruction from image data (Marching Cubes, Isosurface
modelling)
* Bidirectional interface for devices (OpenIGTLink)
* Plugin architecture for IO formats and algorithms
* Extensible & scriptable development platform (C++/Python)

Please visit http://www.slicer.org/pages/Introduction for a more
complete description